Advanced course in materials design
The aim with this course is to provide the students with knowledge about materials design concepts and strategies with particular focus on integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) and materials genome. Students work individually with the theoretical content and in small groups to solve practical assignments available digitally. The attained ICME skills will be demonstrated by a project work where the students develop a roadmap for the design of a material that fulfills certain performance requirements provided by a company. The following topics will be covered:
- Concepts and principles of computational materials design
- Computational tools for materials design (Thermo-Calc, DICTRA, TC-PRISMA)
- Introduction to first-principles calculations
- Introduction to the phase-field method
- Timing: January 2020 - May 2020
- Organizing institution: Department of Materials Science and Engineering, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Credits: 9 ECTS
- Start: Digital kick-off webinar with introduction to ICME in January (week 3)
- During: Individual work and group assignments using digital communication tools
- End: Exam and final presentation of project work (performed digitally) in the middle of May
How to apply?
Enroll in the course using Ladok.